[Freeswitch-users] mod_opal - call charged before H.225 connect

Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI) vhatz at kinetix.gr
Thu Oct 8 02:47:47 PDT 2009

Brian West wrote:
>  From what I have been told h323plus is a based/fork of OpenH323 which
> OPAL is just a continuation of OpenH323.  So why not support the
> developers of OPAL/OpenH323 ?

H323Plus incorporates many if not all new features/additions etc from
OPAL (for H323 that is) and a few more features of its own. It is not
just a continuation of the antiquated OpenH323, so, IMHO it is a good
option for H323 development.

mod_opal is mostly developed for use with H323 (SIP and IAX support is
already there in FS in different modules), so it doesn't make much
difference if it uses H323Plus, OPAL or any other H323 lib.

It will make a difference however if the underlying library leads to
faster mod_opal/mod_h323 development.

So, yes it would be great to support OPAL and its developers, but
sometimes the end result (and how fast you obtain it) is what matters
most.

Therefore, if there are people out there who have already built a usable
and stable mod for H323 (compared to the current state of mod_opal) I
think we should give it a try, even if it uses a different library.

At least I'm more than willing to test it in lab and production and help
in bug reports, or even patching if I can.

Regards,
Vlasis.