[Freeswitch-users] suggestions for hardware.

Eliot Gable egable+freeswitch at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 10:16:47 PST 2009

I have built some low-wattage systems before, and from what I have
seen, you want to stay away from the low-wattage processors. On a
price per performance per watt scale, the lowest wattage Core 2 Duo
processors are the best bet. I have a logic-supply ITX system here at
home that has a VIA processor in it and it is dirt slow. It cost about
$350 - $400. It sucks about 5W max, according to my Watt meter but it
takes forever to do anything. Compiling FreeSWITCH on it is an
absolute nightmare (it takes hours). I have an alternate MicroATX
system with a Core 2 Duo and it pulls about 15W all the time. If I
compile FreeSWITCH on that system, it takes a few minutes. The Core 2
Duo system was bought about 6 months after the VIA system. The Core 2
Duo cost about $270 for everything, including 2 GB of RAM. The amount
of money saved by running the VIA system at 5W is nowhere close to the
inconvenience of waiting for it to do anything. Also, I had to go
through about 5-6 different Linux distributions before I found one
that would actually install on the VIA processor. I think Suse Linux
was the one that finally worked on it. Tried CentOS, Slackware,
Ubuntu, Debian, and a couple of others.

Now, I have not tried the Atom processor, so it could be very
different. However, I have read the Tom's Hardware review that also
showed that the Core 2 Duo was several times better on the price per
performance per watt scale than the Atom processor, and again, it was
mainly because the Atom processor took so much longer to do anything.