[Freeswitch-users] Newbie trying to setup Cisco 7940 phones

Peter J. Zandvoort peter at cindyandpeter.com
Tue Nov 3 21:37:59 PST 2009

Matthew,

I'm about in the same boat as you are, just on a smaller scale. We have a
ton of Nortel telephony gear, but it's time to move out of the 90's and
enter this millennium. My Cisco quote was in the same ballpark as yours.

The Cisco stuff is mature, rock solid, meshes very well with their network
gear and is actually relatively easy to set up and maintain if you know your
way around IOS. I just refuse to pay that kind of money for yet another
semi-proprietary solution.

After looking at various asterisk distributions, SipX, 3CX and
what-have-you, I've come to the conclusion that FreeSWITCH is by far the
most advanced platform out there. Its architecture and performance is
literally light years ahead of the rest and I have yet to come up with
something that it can't do. But all that comes at a price: The learning
curve is like scaling a brick wall. The developers and the community are
great and available, but just starting out with SIP and voip in general,
this may not be the best platform. So let the blasphemy begin :)

SipX was a breeze to install (insert CD, boot, next next next...) and looks
pretty solid. I believe they actually use FreeSWITCH for their voicemail and
conferencing, internally. I just couldn't get my head around their GUI, ACD
was too basic and had all kinds of issues getting stuff to "just work".

3CX (Windows Only) was completely painless. It just worked. But I'm still
not convinced that I want to run all my voice on a single windows box. Plus
it's not free/open/etc and I don't want to lock myself in again.

Although it's an asterisk based solution, I found trixbox to be very easy.
Setup is automatic and everything "just worked". The GUI is simple and
logical enough that I can let somebody else handle the day-to-day phone
setup and basic admin. I have my doubts about it scaling to 250 users,
though.

This may be a completely flawed strategy and I may very well be shooting
myself in the foot by doing this, but I plan on piloting a trixbox install
with a dozen or so users and see how stable it is. I'll keep a FreeSWITCH
box next to it for the more advanced stuff. Once I get more comfortable with
the intricacies of SIP and get some time to code a basic GUI for FreeSWITCH,
I have a feeling that that trixbox is going to get phased out...

Peter