[Freeswitch-users] differences between mod_fifo and asterisk queues

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 08:55:46 PDT 2009

2009/3/27 Francois Delawarde <fdelawarde at wirelessmundi.com>

>  Hello and welcome me into FreeSWITCH's world! <= sorry that was rude
>
> I am (hoping to say "I was" soon) a heavy user of Asterisk's call queues
> for small call centers with sometimes empty queues and all agents idle for a
> few seconds.
>
> FreeSWITCH's mod_fifo algorithm is apparently quite different than
> Asterisk's app_queue. Instead of choosing an agent for a each call once it
> gets to the bottom of the queue given a specific strategy, FreeSWITCH does
> the inverse and finds a call once an agent is free given a strategy (the
> call that has waited longer from all the agent's queues, or the call in the
> queue that currently has more calls waiting). Am I right?
>
> If the above deduction is correct, while it seems a MUCH better choice for
> heavier call centers that always have calls in their queues ("in queue"
> calls are not delayed by the processing of the call at the end of the
> queue), I have a few doubts for what would happen in small call centers when
> those queues sometimes get empty and several agents "fight" for the incoming
> calls. My questions are following:
>
> - If for example 4 agents are "connected" (fifo out) to an empty queue,
> what happens when a call arrives? Do the 4 agents ring? If not, how do we
> know which agent get the call?

If you are using on-hook agents, it will place as many outbound calls as
there are people waiting.
If you are using off-hook agents it will just connect the first free agent.

> - Is there an [easy] way (with some javascript or similar) to "emulate"
> Asterisk's distribution strategies to agents (by amount of time without
> calls, total number of answered calls, round robing, ...) in this cases?

Easiest way would be to write a patch in C to mod_fifo it'self or propose a
bounty for features and see if you can get the change approved by the
developers.

> A couple of other newbie questions that has nothing to do with the above:
> - Is there a way to execute some PHP scripts for each call that would do
> the bridging or call applications (like Asterisk's AGI)?

Your best bet would be to not try to do anything "like asterisk" FreeSWITCH
is a paradigm shift from asterisk and you may defeat yourself trying to do
anything the same way.

That said, yes, look at Event Socket and ESL, (using asterisk terminology,
it's a combination of AGI and manager).

> - What is the recommended language for features, speed, and programming
> ease (not a priority) for this kind of scripts (C? LUA?, Javascript?, ..)?

> Thanks in advance,
> François.

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/