[Freeswitch-users] Different files (?)

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Wed Mar 25 10:03:49 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Pablo Hernan Saro <pablosaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> First of all, thanks for your answers. You guys are awesome and FS
> rocks. Don't take it the wrong way...

No offense taken.

> My custom is to install production systems using stable versions and
> apply the corresponding security patches as soon as they are released.
> But I don't change software versions until I really need to do it (for
> example when I need a new functionality).

Nothing wrong with this custom.

> I've installed production systems using FS SVN trunk, but it changes
> every day. So, to keep it up to date I have to re-compile it every
> week at least.

Understood. Production systems have their own issues. One custom that
is common is to have a production system and a "sandbox" system. You
could have your sandbox system to a "make current" every night and you
could run simple tests via cron to see if anything important to you is
somehow broken. If all is well then you know that you can upgrade your
production system.

> I was wondering if there is a version you can affirm has no major
> bugs. If not, there is no problem with that... Just wondering...

This is a tough one. It may be a minor bug to me but it could be a
major bug to you. In other words this is almost an impossible question
to answer. This much I can say: the FS devs make lots of changes each
day but they don't leave the SVN trunk in an unstable state at any
point, especially at the end of the day. (GMT -6 time zone.)

The bottom line is still the same: FreeSWITCH is one of those rare
software projects where the SVN trunk is almost always more stable and
less buggy than the most recent "stable" release. My recommendation to
you is to find the update schedule that works best for you, be it
daily, weekly or some other period.

-MC