[Freeswitch-users] Problems with mp3 file formats in mod_shout

Marc Orenberg marc at kasteris.com
Sun Mar 15 10:19:13 PDT 2009

Hi, I'm using mod_shout to play mp3 files, and I'm having some trouble. I have two sets of mp3 files, one from a professional voice-prompt service, and one set that I converted from .wav files.  In both sets, all of the files play fine in Windows Media player and other players, but in both sets, there are some files which mod_shout is complaining about. It gives me errors like this:

        Note: Illegal Audio-MPEG-Header 0x41504554 at offset 0x40fa.
        Note: Trying to resync...
        Note: Hit end of (available) data during resync.

When it gets these errors, it often stops playing the file before it is completed.

I've tried checking / re-encoding these files using Audacity, vbrfix, mp3validator and mp3gain, and I continue to have the same problem, which is making me wonder if it's really a formating problem after all, or maybe some bug in mod_shout.

I'm wondering if anybody has had these problems before, and if they have any insight into what could be going on.

I'd really appreciate any help or advice.

By the way, I'm using FreeSwitch version 1.0.3 on CentOS linux.

Thanks in advance,
Marc