[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch IAX support

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 08:15:06 PDT 2009

Hi,

This issue is that our mod_iax is using the only freely available iax2
stack. A client library that was only designed for small softphones.
There is a patch in jira to add registration support but it was not done
correctly and we have not had much time to work on it.
We've already had to add several unappealing hacks to the code we are using
now to make it threadsafe and i don't think it will scale very far and you
may find it a disappointment even with registration support.

I had suggested at some point that we would consider making an entire new
scalable implementation of iax2 designed as a client/server library but
really it's probably the place of the authors of the protocol to provide
such a resource.  But if they do no wish to, I estimated the cost of
developing such a stack to be in the range of 25k-35k.

So the short answer is we have little to no demand for it, so we have not
put much effort into supporting it.

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 7:11 AM, Nik Middleton <
nik.middleton at noblesolutions.co.uk> wrote:

>  Hi Guys,
>

> Now that IAX  has been published as an RFC (
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc5456.txt) are there any plans to
> support registrations?
>

> Not a moan, just curious as to the road map.
>

> A lot of my users have Asterisk PBX’s using IAX and I’d love to replace my
> Asterisk central server with FS to better serve them. Yes I know I could get
> them to move to using SIP, but there’s a lot of them.
>

> Regards

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/