[Freeswitch-users] Newbee: Need Help Thin Client Environment

murrah boswell otrcomm at isp-systems.net
Mon Jun 22 20:31:54 PDT 2009

Hello All,

I am an absolute newbee in the voip world but have a project where I believe freeswitch will work and need very, very basic guidance
on how to setup a testbed in a thin client environment.

I am using K12LTSP 5EL (Centos5) for my terminal server/host testbed and utilize fl_teachertool 0.07 to monitor the connected
terminal clients (TCs). If you are not familiar with fl_teachertool, it allows a teacher to view thumbnail images of each TC logged
in to the server. The teacher can click on any thumbnail and enlarge the view, monitor all applications running on a given TC, and
take control of the keyboard and mouse of the TC. These are just a few of the capabilities of fl_teachertool.

What I want to do is allow the teacher to establish voice communication using headsets and microphones with any one of the TCs by
making a "phone" call via ethernet based upon ip of the TC through freeswitch using a softphone.

Does this sound like something that is possible using freeswitch? If so, could someone please give me very basic instructions on how
to setup this proof of concept? If I can just get a "teacher" stationed at my server talking to one "student" at a TC, I believe I
can go from there. Currently I have a voiper softphone that functions, I believe, under gnome, but I have no idea how to configure
the voiper to initiate calls through freeswitch or how to configure freeswitch to route the call to one of my TCs.

I also need to keep this system fully self contained. That is, I can not have a requirement to use an outside sip service provider.

Also, I would use any other linux sip softphones known to work with freeswitch that people feel would work better than a voiper.
voiper seems to be more windows and mac based. I would really like to use an ekiga since they seem to be more linux based, but I do
not believe that they have been thoroughly tested with freeswitch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Murrah Boswell