[Freeswitch-users] FS as a Class 5 switch

David Knell dave at 3c.co.uk
Sat Jun 20 20:50:04 PDT 2009

Hi Nandy.

On Sun, 2009-06-21 at 08:58 +0800, Nandy Dagondon wrote:
> i'm interested to know if anyone employed FS as a local exchange
> switch. i'm confident FS can handle several calls using RTP by-pass
> mode. however, i'm more concerned on handling the large dialplan with
> hundreds (or even a few thousand) exchange prefixes nationwide during
> call setup.

We have probably ~100k prefixes in our LCR.  We don't put these in the
dialplan directly; instead, they live in a database and we have an
external application which routes calls.  FreeSWITCH has mod_lcr which I
would imagine will do the same sort of thing; we don't use it because it
wasn't around when we started.

I'd caution against trying to put thousands of prefixes in the dialplan:
I'd guess that matching each call against some thousands of regexes
during call setup might get expensive.

> i'd be glad to hear experiences and suggestions esp on the hardware
> dimensioning. we're talking a small exchange up to about 1,100 lines
> only, mostly linked to the main exchange via MFC-R2.

That'd depend on the number of concurrent calls you need to budget for -
taking it that 1,100 lines implies maybe 1-200 simultaneous calls, then
one low-end modern server (Core 2 Duo, etc.) ought to do just fine.

Cheers --

Dave

--
David Knell, Director, 3C Limited