[Freeswitch-users] Sample rate and recordFile

Brian West brian at freeswitch.org
Thu Jun 18 10:10:35 PDT 2009

On Jun 18, 2009, at 11:54 AM, Andy wrote:

> 1) I notice that when I change the sample rate it automatically
> changes the bit rate too. I understand why this is the case but
> wondered if it was just as easy to be able to control the bitrate as
> well as the sample rate.

If you're talking about mod_shout, NO.  You'll end up picking an
invalid bitrate and asking why it doesn't work... been there done
that... I changed it a few months back to pick the optimal bitrate for
the sample rate.

> 2) When I use a sample rate other than 8000 I get a warning 'Sample
> rate doesn't match'. I guess this puts some extra load on the
> server. If all my calls are being recorded and all at 11025 can/
> should I alter the sample rate of the base call to 11025?

NO.  Your phone call is running at 8kHz, Your sound file is 11025 and
they don't match, If you were to play this file into an 8k channel
without a resample it would sound a little like satan.  or a dragging
tape deck.  The file has to be resampled to match the current session
rate.

/b