[Freeswitch-users] Voice lag in conference

Bradley Brashier bjbrashier at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 12:02:03 PDT 2009

I have two different network setups, and have seen similar lag on both.

The first is my home testbed. I'm connected to the internet through a home
router and then a cablemodem. The home environment is pretty spare, of
course. 2 machines and a couple of T-mobile cell phones with their SIP
communication is all that goes through there. I have used my cell phone, a
couple of different softphones, Gizmo call-ins, and regular PSTN calls. The
worst lag is the T-mobile cell phones, but I'm happy to write that off as
T-mobile's problem if we'd like.

The second is the debug server environment on the systems where the
conference product will eventually reside. The system is very complex, as it
is already running a major hosted PBX service written years ago. I'm afraid
all of the details of this system are beyond me, but I know that it includes
a PSTN gateway, more T1s than I can count, and I'm having to split the RTP
and SIP packets on separate ports for security and organizational purposes.
For call-ins, I have used T-mobile again and regular PSTN, no softphones
(yet). Obviously, this is the important environment, and the PSTN lag is
somewhere around 500-700 ms (subjective).

So am I correct in understanding that this is not a common issue, then, and
that something can theoretically be done to help it?