[Freeswitch-users] MPL Confusion

Brian West brian at freeswitch.org
Fri Jun 12 07:44:54 PDT 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 11:45 PM, Muhammad Shahzad wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some confusion about FreeSWITCH's Mozilla Public License 1.1.
> I do understand that me or any one can change provided code
> according to our customization needs and we are not bound to share
> our changes as long as we are not distributing it, right?

Not 100% true.

> Now, i have been doing R&D on MSN and Yahoo voice chat services, I
> have now completed by research and now would like to write up FS
> modules to communicate with these servers. But as you all know both
> MSN and Yahoo provide SIP based VOIP services, however they are not
> using standard SIP stack and have their own versions of customized
> SIP stack. So, in order to write an endpoint for these servers,
> instead of writing everything from scretch, i can using existing
> mod_sofia endpoint and customize it to make it compatible with MSN
> and Yahoo SIP stack. So here are my questions,
>
> 1. Is it possible under MPL, that i make a copy of mod_sofia as say
> mod_msn and develop it to work with MSN, similarly mod_yahoo for
> Yahoo voice chat service?

Chances are they can be integrated as optional behaviors into
mod_sofia.   Its best to join #freeswitch and talk to us to see if
maybe we can provide you guidance on this process.

> 2. If yes, how can i mention my role in these modules development,
> i.e. as developer or as contributor?

Adding your name to the top of the files is usually the best way.

You post your work to our issue tracker http://jira.freeswitch.org

> Thank you.

Brian West
brian at freeswitch.org