[Freeswitch-users] Live Upgrade Techniques

John Dalgliesh johnd at defyne.org
Thu Jun 11 20:35:58 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 at 16:33 -0400, Michael Giagnocavo wrote:

> Well, if you're running multiple machines, waiting for it to drainstop
> isn't that big of a deal unless you're in some sort of hurry, right?
> Give it an hour or so to drainstop, then kill 'em.

Yes that's exactly what I'm trying to do. The problem is some people will
only try one IP address.

> Would it not be simpler to try to do something with re-invites or REFER,
> assuming your endpoints support it?

That was actually plan A. I already added a property in sip_profile called
failover_redirect, which specifies another server to try if FS can't
allocate any more sessions (e.g. too busy, paused, shutdown asap, etc.),
by sending back a SIP 302 Moved Temporarily response, instead of 503 Max
Calls In Progress.

Turns out not all my endpoints support it :(

I considered REFER too but there seems to be even less support for that.

If I can't get the socket-sharing upgrade working then I will fall back to
this - and peers which don't support the 302 response (or more likely,
don't authorise it) will just get no service during the upgrade.

> -Michael

{P^/