[Freeswitch-users] Live Upgrade Techniques

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 09:54:32 PDT 2009

or you can put a sip proxy in front of 2 boxes where you can control the
flow of traffic.
when you want to upgrade one, take all the traffic off of it by forcing all
calls to the other box, upgrade it then shift the traffic to the new one.
if that goes well, upgrade the other one too.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 5:47 AM, Michal Bielicki
<michal.bielicki at halo2.pl>wrote:

> Am 11.06.2009 um 05:04 schrieb John Dalgliesh:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am slowly gaining confidence using FreeSWITCH in production, but there
>> is one issue that I'm still wondering about: how are people upgrading
>> their FreeSWITCH installation binaries without dropping all current calls?
>>
>> So far I have been upgrading in the dead of night, after pausing for 5
>> minutes then dropping the stragglers, but this is hardly ideal.
>>
>> What I would like to do is to run an upgraded instance of FreeSWITCH on
>> the same machine, and have it handle all new call packets, whereas the old
>> instance continues to handle the existing call packets, until there are no
>> more old calls left.
>>
>> I can think of about seven ways to accomplish this, but before I dive into
>> the code I thought I'd better ask what everyone else has been doing :)
>>
>> (The only standard way I can think of doing this is to have a SIP proxy
>> sitting in front of FS the whole time, just to handle these upgrade
>> windows. It seems like a bit of a waste.)
>>
>> So how are you handling your FS software upgrades?
>>
>> {P^/
>> John
>>

> We use freeswitch on solaris and just upgrade it to a new zfs which gets
> remounted to the old place and freeswitch gracefully restartet. On failure
> we can allways do a rollback, which takes between 2 and 10 seconds, so the
> dwntime is pretty acceptable.
>
> Michal Bielicki
> Leiter der Niederlassung
> HaloKwadrat Sp. z o.o.
> Niederlassung Kleinmachnow
> Eingetragen im Handelsregister beim Amtsgericht Potsdam, HRB21422P
> Ust.Id.: DE261885536
> Geschaeftsfuehrer: Aleksander Wiercinski
> Meiereifeld 2b, 14532 Kleinmachnow
> t. +49 33203 263220
> f. +49 33203 263229 sip. info at halokwadrat.de
> e. michal.bielicki at halokwadrat.de | w. www.halokwadrat.de
> Hauptgeschäftsstelle:
> Halo Kwadrat Sp. z o.o.
> ul. Polna 46/14
> 00-644 Warszawa, Polen
> EIngetragen im HRB Warszawa, KRS 0000153539

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/

AIM: anthm