[Freeswitch-users] WikiPBX Installation

Matthew Lockwood matthew.lockwood at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 03:30:51 PDT 2009

Thanks for all this. What I meant to respond with before I passed out asleep
was:

The framework doesn't matter that much. We've all got looped on this issue.
Everything that is done has to add value to the end user. The framework is
far down at the bottom of the list of things that provides value, but it's
not something to be ignored.

The vision I have for this is something that's so simple it lowers the
barriers that would otherwise stop people from using FreeSwitch. Using some
relatively unheard of framework is going to most certainly complicate
things. Simple = good. And plus, on a side note if we throw out a whole
bunch of frameworks and acronyms and make a big deal about the actual
technology that powers the GUI (not that people even care most of the time),
people will start to get more confused and it'll backfire.

I'll be using .NET/Mono unless I can come up with an exceptionally good
reason to use something else. I'm choosing this framework over everything
else because it's what I know best and I'll be writing the code base. I've
got years of experience writing code in C# and developing .NET web
applications so it makes more sense than learning something new that will
slow the development time and result in me producing poorer code. This isn't
me being mercenary, but the GUI isn't likely to cross the million codeline
barrier (even with everything implemented) and this is a framework I have a
lot of experience with. I'm totally fine being the lone developer for now,
and there are a lot of people with similar programming skillsets as mine so
it's not like there will never be anybody else that'll ever contribute code.

Personally, I think it's more important to have well written code that is
rapidly developed than it is to have a shiny technology that adds no value.
:-) Of course, the final product will be perfectly standards compliant and
100% accessible. I know this is important.

I'm going to lay the framework issue to rest now. It'll be .NET/Mono unless
there is some super-compelling reason to use something else. If for some
reason there is such a reason not to use .NET/Mono, the second choice is
PHP.

The other thing is I'm pretty much going to develop upwards of 95% of the
features in one go. Nobody wants an incomplete product that lacks necessary
functionality, so from v1.0 it'll be pretty much feature complete. I'm
developing this for use in my business, so I need it feature complete, and
that's what the community will get too - a feature complete product. Hope
you're happy having a fully fledged GUI! ;-)