[Freeswitch-users] Testing Freeswitch performance led to strange behavior

Brian West brian at freeswitch.org
Thu Jun 4 07:40:59 PDT 2009

On Jun 4, 2009, at 9:32 AM, Apostolos Pantsiopoulos wrote:

> NOTE No 1 : All the performance recommendations found in the wiki has
> been applied. In fact only the essential modules that could make this
> scenario work
> were loaded.

What are you testing against?  What OS, Hardware, Distro and such?

> NOTE No 2 : I tried using asterisk (as a point of reference - don't
> get
> me wrong - I am not trying to start a flame war here). And it
> succeeded
> doing on the same hardware  60 calls/sec with a channel limit of 400
> sim. calls using only 50% of the cpu (maximum). No under any
> circumstances I have seen the behavior above (this inability to hang
> call legs in a timely manner). Even when I pushed asterisk to the
> limits
> (80 calls per second 600 max call limit) and it started failing on
> some
> calls it never failed to hangup the calls for both legs on exactly
> 10 secs.

Load testing is a science and you can do it wrong most of the time
unless you know exactly what you're doing.  If you're going against
the default dialplan its heavy and not something I would load test
against.

> NOTE No 3 : As you can tell I was using a very small machine for my
> tests. When I moved the same tests to larger installations (Quad Core
> Opterons and Xeons) I got proportional results to the above.

What are you testing on now?  Hope its 64bit.

Brian West
brian at freeswitch.org

-- Meet us at ClueCon!  http://www.cluecon.com