[Freeswitch-users] voip-voip echo cancel possible

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Jul 30 09:09:38 PDT 2009

Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
> While it might not be feasible it may be possible (and I don't see why not).
>
> There are many, many commercial devices that claim to do this.  Then
> again there are just as many devices that claim to do everything and
> anything...

People tell me commercial offerings claim to do this, but nobody ever
points me at an example.

There are two key issues that stop EC over VoIP working.

1. There is no way you will ever get EC to work over a low bit rate
codec. Even if you use nothing but G.711 on your local hop, you have no
idea what transcoding may occur downstream. So, in the general case it
won't work however you configure your setup.

2. EC is an adaptive process, requiring is a stable loop length. As soon
as a jitter buffer somewhere makes an adjustment the EC's tunning will
blow up. If you are lucky it might eventually retune, but in the
meantime the pain in your ear could be quite severe. :-)

Steve