[Freeswitch-users] VMWare voice quality

John Skopis (Lists) jlists at skopis.com
Thu Jan 22 17:27:42 PST 2009

Michael Collins wrote:
> If anyone figures this out please post it to this thread. I am working
> on a wiki page for the VMWare appliance and I would like to be able to
> inform people on how to handle this situation.

I had some issues under vmware fusion. They were resolved by adding
clock=pit [1] to the kernel boot params and switching to host-only
networking, and running natd + ipfw on the host system. The vmware natd
would probably also work. haven't tried myself. The clock=pit is the big
kicker. Also, recompiling the kernel with HZ=100 might help to reduce
the load on the host system. [2] Though, with a small number of
vms/vcpus on decent hw the number of context switches probably won't
have much of an effect.

[1] www.vmware.com/pdf/vmware_timekeeping.pdf
[2] http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-3580