[Freeswitch-users] [Freeswitch-dev] VMWare voice quality

Kristian Kielhofner kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 00:17:35 PST 2009

Speaking of networking...

After timing that's the next "achilles heel" of RTP handing with virtualization.

Very, very few of these platforms were designed to handle massive
numbers of very small RTP packets.  Everything from interrupt handling
on the actual ethernet adapter to getting the data into userspace
within the virtual instance is worrisome:

http://www.xen.org/files/xensummit_4/NetworkIO_Santos.pdf
http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=11619&

Interestingly enough the Xen paper makes it out to be really bad yet
the OpenVZ post praises Xen's performance.  Without any real testing,
who knows?  I just know that scaling 50pps per RTP stream (20ms
packetization) can be difficult enough on native hardware, let alone
[virtualization technology du jour].