[Freeswitch-users] VMWare voice quality

Peter P GMX Prometheus001 at gmx.net
Thu Jan 15 12:38:25 PST 2009

Hello all,

let me also give some experience from the VirtualBox side (Community
Version).

Host machine
==========
AMD X2 64 3800 with 8GB of RAM
OS is a generic Debian 4.0R5 with Kernel 2.6.18-6-amd64
No special parameters in the Kernel.
Started with VirtualBox 1.5 and now on 2.0.x

Client machine (freeswitch)
===========
Ubuntu 8.041
Generic Kernel 2.6.24-18-generic #1 SMP, 1 CPU

Experience:
===========
A single call produces about 20% CPU load. So this is not usefull for
any production environment.
I did not discover any dropouts in a normal call between internal and
external UAs/gateways since 6 months. So for testing purposes its fine.
Voice between User Agents is always fine.
Seldomly I hear choppy voice when announcements are played. After some
minutes these problems go away.

Resume
===========
For testing/development purposes, FS on VirtualBox is fine. For any
productive environment it's not really usable in our environment.

Comparison with Asterisk
Asterisk never worked in this environment:
Choppe voice between UAs and when playing sound. 100% CPU load on a
single call.

Best regards
Peter