[Freeswitch-users] How does location of FreeSWITCH server matter?

Miles Keaton mileskeaton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 14:24:56 PST 2009

I'm new to FreeSWITCH and hope I could ask the community's suggestion
or experience with how the location of your FreeSWITCH server affects
the quality of the VoIP call.

I'm using JunctionNetworks (http://pstn.junctionnetworks.com/) for SIP
trunking.  Their servers are in NYC.

I'm trying to decide between running FreeSWITCH on a Debian dedicated
server in Virginia (http://www.serverbeach.com/) or a FreeBSD
dedicated server in San Diego (http://www.m5hosting.com/).

This is for a VERY small business without a lot of phone traffic, but
our users are spread around the world, in LA, Toronto, NYC, Berlin,
London, Bangalore, and Hong Kong.

I've used both for a couple months and they both seem fine.  Since I'm
in LA, I get a better response-speed from the San Diego server, but
people on the east coast might have the opposite experience.  My
recent FreeSWITCH calls through the Virginia server have sounded quite
lo-fi.  I also like FreeBSD better than Debian.

What would you recommend?

Server-location doesn't matter?

Server-location does matter?

Location doesn't matter much but the colocation facility matters more?

Any suggestions appreciated.  I'm trying to make a decision, but
realized I didn't have all the facts.

Thanks!