[Freeswitch-users] FS SIP audio quality?

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 16:43:31 PST 2009

it's digital audio.  The only thing doing sampling and reconstruction of the
signal are the phones.  The audio files have been captured long ago from the
microphone in the studio.
We do nothing to alter the volume of the audio signal or manipulate it in
any way unless you are transcoding between sample rates or codecs which you
are not because you mentioned it was PCMU.

If you are making a call from x-lite to a linksys using just PCMU there is
no transcoding going on at all and it would not be any more or less loud
than if the
devices were exchanging media directly because all we would be doing is
passing the digital packets across.

I believe you are somehow mistaken in your explanation.  There is a good
chance that your x-lite has the gain set lower when you are testing FS since
that's the only device
in your whole scenario that is capable of adjusting the gain.

If you wish, please get a complete packet capture of a completed call in
both situations.

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Paul D. <pauld at versafon.com> wrote:

> Comparing FS 1.0.3 audio quality vs * 1.4.2, simple Sip-to-Sip call, or
> call to VM prompt, or call via  gateway to PSTN - FS audio volume level
> (should I say gain?) seems noticeably lower than on *, this may be a
> reason that FS audio seems to be subpar, more noise less clear. Test
> calls made using PCMU codec from X-Lite and Linksys 2002.
> Is there anything can be tweaked in FS to correct that? Same issue was
> with 1.0.2.

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/