[Freeswitch-users] Skypiax (Skype Network endpoint) for FreeSWITCH

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz at celliax.org
Fri Feb 13 10:15:08 PST 2009

Hello FreeSWITCHers,

mod_skypiax is available for testing, feature requests, bug hunting.

I would like to ask the help of you all to make Skypiax robust and
feature full on FreeSWITCH, and particularly of Massimo Cetra (CtRiX
on IRC), that has developed mod_airpe (another Skype endpoint).

I've written a first documentation on Skypiax installation and usage
at: http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Skypiax
and there is a Jira module at:
http://jira.freeswitch.org/browse/MODSKYPIAX

So, please, test the software, edit the wiki page both for style and
content, file bug reports and feature requests.

FreeSWITCH is now the platform of first development for me, so the
FreeSWITCH part of Skypiax is more tested (if any) and the code is
more readable compared to the Asterisk part where lot of legacy from
my other projects clutter the code.

But Skypiax strive to be available as a Skype compatible endpoint for
all the opensource telephony community, and in the near time the
Asterisk part will be cleaned much more, and documented.

As you will see, the code is made by skypiax_protocol.c (the
interaction with Skype client), mod_skypiax.c (the interaction with
FreeSWITCH), chan_skypiax.c (the interaction with Asterisk).

Please consider me available for all infos, clarifications, discussions, etc.

I would like to thanks all the peoples that helped me via mail and IRC
(so bad to have different timezones, isn't?), the *very early
adopters*, the testers, the patchers, and you all.
Particularly Anthony Minessale, Michael Jerris, Brian West, Michael
Collins, Ken Rice, Seven Du, Clif Cox, Hristo Trendev, Rehan Allah
Wala, Jason Garland and Antonio Gallo.

>From the wiki page (http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Skypiax):

 WHAT IS SKYPIAX

This software (Skypiax) uses the Skype API but is not endorsed,
certified or otherwise approved in any way by Skype.

Skypiax is an endpoint (channel driver) that uses the Skype client as
an interface to the Skype network, and allows incoming and outgoing
Skype calls to/from FreeSWITCH (that can be bridged, originated,
answered, etc. as in all other endpoints, e.g. sofia/SIP).

Skypiax works in FreeSWITCH (FS) on both Linux and Windows, at both
8khz and 16khz (Skype client has 16khz audio I/O). Skypiax works on
Asterisk too, at 8khz, on Linux and Windows (through CygWin).

Think of Skypiax as similar to OpenZAP for analog lines. For each
channel you need an interface (a Skype client). So, for example, two
concurrent calls would need two channels, and therefor two Skype
clients running on your FreeSWITCH server.

If your Skype client(s) have Skype credits, then Skypiax works for
SkypeOut calls as well.

Sincerely,

Giovanni Maruzzelli
www.celliax.org