[Freeswitch-users] Transcoding G723

Michael Giagnocavo mgg at giagnocavo.net
Fri Feb 6 12:30:38 PST 2009

$22K would buy quite a few machines with many core Xeons. I just don't see how it'd be effective at that price. Not to mention a yearly figure.

The only thing to take into consideration would be the G729 licenses. But in bulk, the price should be pretty effective, even figuring in hardware.

(Not to mention what things like Larrabee will mean for encoding -- 32 1.5GHz "Pentium 4 x64" cores, each with 4 threads?)

And... if you're running Asterisk, um, isn't 5000 channels a wee bit over what you can handle anyways? ;)

-Michael