[Freeswitch-users] Transcoding G723

Shelby Ramsey sicfslist at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 08:28:54 PST 2009

Steve,

You definitely have a better grasp on this topic than me.  But I think it's
a tough sell on the host based processing ... when you look at products like
what audio codes can do on a card (3 DS-3's worth of transcoding) ... but I
have had a couple of soft switch vendors claim though that they could do
2,000 calls per host (but I seriously doubt it).

I agree that producing a card that does 120 channels is pretty worthless ...
but having something that could do say a 1000 would be very helpful.

G723 is a pretty big deal internationally ... I'm even seeing crazy requests
like AMR from folks trying to originate VoIP off of mobile devices in
Europe.

But I agree just being able to g729 --> ulaw or ulaw --> g729 would be a
great first step (host based or otherwise).

SDR