[Freeswitch-users] mod_voicemail question

Steve Steffler stevesteffler at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 17 08:13:15 PST 2009

Hello Micheal

On Dec 15, 2009, at 12:09 PM, Michael Collins wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> What is the difference between the mod_voicemail "vm_message_ext" parameter and the "file-extension" parameter?
>
> vm_message_ext is a channel variable:
>  http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Mod_voicemail#vm_message_ext
>
> file-extension is a parameter of the voicemail module:
> http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Mod_voicemail#file-extension
>
> The former sets for a specific user, the latter for mod_voicemail in general.

Ahh, thanks for clearing this up for me!  Now I understand the difference.

> I want all my voicemail in .WAV format except for a couple of extensions which need to be in MP3.
>
> I'm getting strange results playing with these settings, for example, after logging into the voicemail, it will say "You have 1 new message.  First message at <date and time>", and then instead of the voicemail message there will be silence and a long pause.  Then it will repeat the message count and loop this behavior.  During the silence,  I seem to be able to press keys to trigger voicemail events, like for example I am allowed to delete the message (although it isn't playing the message to me, and I am instead hearing silence).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Is this perhaps a recording of silence, so that you might actually be listening to a message?
> -MC

Nope, turns out that according to the FS logs it was trying to play a {uuid}.WAV file that it was expecting to still be there, but which was deleted from a previous checking of voicemail.  It's like the database of new messages was out of sync with the message sound files in the mailbox on the server.  I deleted the 'ghost' voicemails from my mailbox and now things are back to normal.  That could have been a result of my experimentations, I doubt it was a problem with FS.

Thanks for your help and keep up the outstanding work! I love FreeSWITCH. :-)

Steve