[Freeswitch-users] Does FS support STUN by default?

Rupa Schomaker rupa at rupa.com
Thu Dec 10 06:33:58 PST 2009

STUN is not a way to open ports in a manner in which sheilds up would
detect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STUN

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STUN>UPNP is what you want if you want to open
ports.

STUN is just a method for figuring out how to do nat traversal.  STUN
"method" is initiated by the process on the inside of the firewall at
connection establish time.  It will do no good for the listen case which is
what you are checking for.

If you want to use stun, then you need to forward the listen ports manually
(5060, 5080 - UDP and TCP).

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Fred-145 <codecomplete at free.fr> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I wanted to check if my ADSL modem worked with STUN, so I left its "UPNP
> activity" option unchecked, ran FreeSwitch, and used eg. Shields Up
> (www.grc.com) to check if UDP5080 (and possibly UDP5060) were opened...
> which SU says no.
>
> Does it mean that...
> - by default, FS doesn't use STUN
> - or my modem doesn't support STUN, and I must either enable UPnP or map
> ports (UDP5080 and some UDP ports for RTP/RTPC) statically?
>
> Thank you.

-Rupa