[Freeswitch-users] First steps in FreeSWITCH

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Wed Dec 2 12:57:18 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Martin Rodriguez <gmartinr82 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi list;
>
> I'm new to FreeSWITCH, I'm working with for 6 years with Asterisk and
> 10 years in VoIP (Cisco). I need a reference guide to start working
> with
> FreeSWITCH. I download the official documentation, it would need some
> other configuration examples and dialplan sip device for calls.
>
> Martin Rodriguez

Welcome to FreeSWITCH! We think you'll like it. Just remember that it's
different than Cisco and Asterisk. (By "different" I mean "more powerful,
better thought out, more flexible, and way, WAY cooler" :) )

First off you might want to peruse the Rosetta Stone:
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Rosetta_stone

It's a place where you can get a frame of reference. If you've worked with
Asterisk for six years then you've got lots of knowledge, and probably a few
battle scars :) and that document helps you put things into perspective a
bit.

If you want a gentle intro to installing and setting up FS then check out
this article:
http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Issues/2009/106/TALK-SOFT

Note: the article mentions version 1.0.4 but we're really close to 1.0.5. We
strongly recommend everyone, especially experienced users, to use the latest
SVN trunk as it is almost always the most stable version of FS.

Lastly, be sure to check out the getting started guide and the installation
guide on the wiki. (www.freeswitch.org) The quick-and-dirty install guide is
good for those who now Linux and just want to jump right in.
-MC (IRC: mercutioviz)

P.S. - we have a weekly FS community conf call and you're welcome to join:
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Weekly_Conference_Call