[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH HA + Loadbalancing

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sat Aug 29 22:34:45 PDT 2009

Pete Mueller <pete at privateconnect.com> wrote:
>    There is a need for ensuring that calls do not drop, but we must balance
>    that with the cost of making the system redundant.  We took some small,
>    inexpensive measures, to improve our odds, but we could spend a lot more,
>    for basically nothing more than giving some client a warm fuzzy.

I think this is one area where, as indicated earlier in the thread, a lot of
development effort would be needed to obtain that extra degree of reliability.

>From a broader perspective, the question is whether, over the next decade or
two, VoIP can compete with the PSTN in reliability. My (limited) understanding
is that PSTN equipment typically achieves 99.99999% uptime, and if VoIP
systems are going to play in that arena, it would be desirable for
free/open-source software to do so.

If FreeSWITCH itself is working correctly, all you need is a hardware failure
or a kernel panic or a network outage to drop that up-time substantially, not
to mention dropping the calls as well, which I've never experienced as a user
of the PSTN due to equipment at the telephone exchange.

I have, however, experienced some rather low-quality PSTN calls over
international lines, which have the added disadvantage of being expensive to
use.