[Freeswitch-users] newbie alert. Help with dialplan

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Fri Aug 28 10:24:27 PDT 2009

Julian,

It might be better if you gave us the run-down on what your current Asterisk
extension does. Most likely there is an elegant way of doing it in
FreeSWITCH. Part of the unlearing of the Asterisk way is coming to grips
with the fact that the FS dialplan is not a programming language in and of
itself. While it's convenient to have GotoIf's all over the place, in the
long run that's inefficient.

Let's start from the top-down instead of the bottom-up. Discussion your
application in general terms, i.e., non-Asterisk-specific language. Tell us
what it does, not how it does it, and then we can think it through using FS
concepts.

-MC