[Freeswitch-users] G729 transcoding workaround

Justin Miller fax at virgintechnologies.com
Mon Aug 17 13:30:51 PDT 2009

To overcome the G729 transcoding issue with voicemail, I'm using an Audiocodes Mediant 1000 for transcoding. Our SIP trunk provider and all of our phones use G729 exclusively.
When a call needs to go to voicemail, the call is bridged to the M1000, which transcodes to G711, and returns the call to Freeswitch on another port (5090). This seems to be working well.

I'm now working on getting the IVR working so that I can start using the PBX functionality of Freeswitch for our office. When a call needs to hit the IVR, it's bridged to the M1000 the same as voicemail. I hear the custom menu I've created, and I can choose options successfully, except that the call is now operating in G711. When I bridge to a phone, I get the transcoding error. One option would be to transcode through the M1000 yet again, but this would take up 2 more DSP sessions in the M1000, and I would be running a total of 6 call legs in Freeswitch for this one call.

Is there a way to end the transcoded call legs, and bridge to the phone from the original call leg? This would free up the M1000, and just seems like a better way to do things.

Thank you
Justin