[Freeswitch-users] New to Freeswitch - some help needed

Mark Campbell-Smith mcampbellsmith at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 21:39:14 PDT 2009

Hi Alan,

I hope you find your answers here as these are the sort of things that
are hard to find on the wiki, which is somewhat outdated in areas.  If
you do find your answers, please post them back here for everyone
else.

I am new to FS also, so my comments below may not be 100% correct!

1. Very similar to what I want to have setup as well.  Do you have a
static IP address at home.  If not, get a dyndns account and setup an
entry there so that your friends/family can register using your dns
name instead of ip address

2. No idea.  Maybe try another stun server?

3. Not sure if double-NAT is needed now with the newer builds of
FreeSwitch.  Download the latest 1.0.4 to be on the safeside and
compile it again!  (I have FS 1.0.4 pre9 and it works I think).  As
long as your clients can register remotely you should be okay. I think
FS can work around most home NATs.  Make sure you have auto-nat set in
your internal.xml file (I think its this one)

4. SIP is the signaling.  RTP is the payload, or voice in your case.
Any transition is done via the SIP signaling.  This is how FS can
transfer calls etc or use the media bypass mode by specifying the IP
address where the RTP should be sent, which does not have to be the
same as the signaling.  Make sure you enable tracing in the
internal.xml file so you can debug the signaling.

You don't need to take a laptop to your daughters to test this.  Use
an internet sip phone like flaphone.com, which works through your web
browser.  This will register with an external IP address exactly like
your daughters and save you time traveling.  Note that sound isn't so
clear for me using this service, but it helps with debugging.

I also would recommend a sip client on windows like Zoiper, or
CounterPath's X-Lite.. both are free.  X-Lite is well known, Zoiper
allows for multiple SIP registrations and comes in a portable version.