[Freeswitch-users] Call For Help: Janitor Projects

Michael S Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Wed Apr 1 07:37:45 PDT 2009

On Apr 1, 2009, at 6:59 AM, Raymond Chandler
<intralanman at freeswitch.org> wrote:

> seven wrote:
>> I know that. And I'd like to read code. Developers written great code
>> and also plenty of comments(which is documentation) in code. However,
>> there are sth. don't need to comment in code but should be available
>> on wiki. E.g. I followed the svn commit log, and found
>> sip_auth_username and sip_auth_password added, so I documented to the
>> wiki.
>>
> That's the right attitude to have... now if there were more people
> doing
> that and less people complaining like little school girls, we could
> actually reach the next level in Open-Sourcetopia.
>
> -Ray

First off, thank you all for your thoughts. This thread has yielded
far more passion than I had hoped for. I consider that a good thing.
It's okay for us to share differing opinions. Enthusiastic
disagreements are better than ambivalence. :)

Secondly, I just want to say that I like the term "janitor" because of
its connotation. A janitor is someone who puts forth effort doing
honorable work. A literal janitor is trusted with the keys to the
office and leaves the workplace in a better condition than when he or
she arrived. Another word for janitor is custodian. Please view the
word in this positive light: a trusted worker whose contributions are
valued by all.

Thirdly, I want to thank people for stepping up. I've already received
several private emails from volunteers. Please feel free to inundate
my inbox!

Lastly, I'd just like to thank Anthony, Brian, and Mike for devoting
so much time and energy to FreeSWITCH. They've created a wonderful
product, and they've also invested a lot of time answering my
questions and those of others. I feel it's the least I can do to try
and get that knowledge codified into a usable format so others can
benefit also.

Thanks again for your thoughts, ideas, and opinions. Keep them coming!
We may just yet reach Open Sourcetopia.

-MC