[Freeswitch-users] uPnP/NAT-PMP

R. Eric Bennett reb-freeswitch at futurexp.com
Tue Sep 16 13:07:02 PDT 2008

On Sep 16, 2008, at 2:39 PM, Brian West wrote:

> On Sep 16, 2008, at 1:32 PM, R. Eric Bennett wrote:
>
>> I don't recall seeing anything anywhere (while compiling, on the
>> Wiki,
>> etc) that would suggest that FreeSWITCH does uPnP (or NAT-PMP for
>> that
>> matter; this question is without regard to NAT Traversal religion)
>> for
>> port mapping.  Is this a correct assumption?
>
> It doesn't but with a two libs it could be made to do so.  Their are
> two libs to do both uPNP and PMP with little trouble.
>
> http://miniupnp.free.fr/libnatpmp.html
>
> That would allow you to create a module to subscribe to events to make
> them map the ports back to the FreeSWITCH box.  So mod_sofia could
> fire an event saying "Hey, I'm on port 5060" and your mod_nat could
> listen to those and poke the holes back to FreeSWITCH on those ports.
> Just an idea :)  I have thought about it before.

Cool.  But note again that I don't actually want the functionality
myself, i.e. this is certainly not my lobbying for it.

I think what triggered it was the combination of the problem with hand-
configured port forwarding from a couple weeks ago combined with a
recent, albeit misdescribed, question about port forwarding.  Somehow
this made me wonder whether the SoHo focus of so many Asterisk users
resulted in uPnP/NAT-PMP support being added.  It was much easier to
ask here than to go find it in an Asterisk feature list... ;)

thanks,
eric