[Freeswitch-users] Scripting language Lua vs. JavaScript (SpiderMonkey)

Jon Bruel jbr at consiglia.dk
Mon Sep 15 08:29:14 PDT 2008

I'm looking at the two scripting languages: Lua and JavaScript, and I
would like some advice about their efficiency. I'm going to translate a
relative complex Asterisk code to FreeSWITCH, and most of the code
consists of decisions (GotoIf), channel variable manipulation and now
and then with some simple database queries. Even if Lua might be
slightly more efficient than JavaScript for the mentioned type of code,
the general knowledge about JavaScript is better, thus reducing the
learning curve of a development team.

In the end, though, CPU-efficiency is very important, and I would like
to know if any of you have comparisons when used in conjunction with
FreeSWITCH?

Further, using Lua, I would like to know if there is a way (library) to
measure time down to milliseconds or microseconds?