[Freeswitch-users] FS Documentation Idea (was RE: FS and DIDs)

UV uv at yuvalhertzog.com
Wed Sep 10 23:32:20 PDT 2008

According to my understanding, in FS, a gateway is a mechanism for the FS to
authenticate when making outgoing calls. If you wish to receive a mixture of
SIP calls on the same IP/port on FS you are pretty bound to the same SIP
Profile settings for all those inbound entities.

On other softswitch platforms (mainly commercial ones), a gateway is usually
a reference to a trunk connection or an aggregation of multiple end-points –
all within the context of the same domain/ip/port. In analogy to FS, it’s a
sip-profile within a sip-profile. On those platforms, you can have different
SIP/Sofia Profile settings on the same ip/port per inbound end-point. This
allows you to allow TLS for particular users, have password OR IP
authentication, set different keep-alive mechanisms, enable/disable CNG,
VAD, codecs and so on.

I hope Brian words were specific for the current FS build until such
sofia-setting-per-gateway functionality is added in the future, as I do see
the need for having gateway (SIP-Sub-Profile) definition for inbound calls.

I might be all wrong and FS does facilitate for such functionality in a way
I wasn’t aware of.

  _____