[Freeswitch-users] BRI for North American switch types

Kurt Albershardt kurt at nv.net
Fri Oct 24 09:41:35 PDT 2008

We've had a lot of problems with echo on POTS lines recently - seems the LECs are busy implementing VoIP backhaul and creating all sorts of weirdness in the local network.  BRI solves this (for now) but the only gateway we have been able to find  that will handle US BRI lines (switch types NI-1, 5ESS, etc.)  has been to use a Cisco 2600 with a BRI WIC card and an external NT-1.  All of the commercial BRI gateways we have looked at do not support North American switch types.

So

Is there a BRI card out there that supports North American switch types and will work with FreeSwitch?

<http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/FreeSwitch_FAQ> says "The q931/q921 in OpenZAP will not support BRI as it stands today, and it will take quite some work for this to happen. But we have something in the plans for BRI sooner than that."

Yet <http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Openzap.conf.xml_Examples#Using_with_BRI> says "dialect can be "q931" for EuroISDN, "national", "dms" or "5ess""

I'm a tad confused...

thanks!