[Freeswitch-users] Load test - performance not even matching Asterisk

David Knell dave at 3c.co.uk
Mon Oct 6 19:25:47 PDT 2008

Going back a step, to where Jon was seeing more packets than there
should have been, I've just encountered a similar issue having upgraded
to the latest, from what was probably a fairly old release - months old,
rather than weeks.

I've got two FS boxes (let's call them FS1 and FS2), each of which are
plumbed in to carrier C.  There's an IVR service running on FS1; FS2
bridges any calls which it gets for said IVR over to FS1.  What I've
just had
is:
- calls from C to FS1 directly work fine;
- calls from C to FS2, thence to FS1 were silent.  Looking at a
capture from
FS2, everything looks OK except the RTP between FS1 and FS2.  On answer,
there's a prompt played.  What I see is three packets in a lump from
FS1, then
four packets sent back from FS2 to FS1, four packets in a lump from
FS1, then
five going back from FS2 to FS1, and so on.

The lumps are 20ms apart (codec is G711 with 20ms packets) - what
seems to be
happening is that FS2 sends FS1 back the packets received from it
unchanged
plus an extra packet which has arrived from C in the meantime.

FS2 ought to be sending these packets to C instead; it sends C nothing.

I've made the problem go away by commenting out the bit in
switch_rtp.c which
auto-adjusts addresses (around line 1280.)

All of the machines have public IPs; there's not a NAT in sight.

I'll have a further look in the morning.

--Dave