[Freeswitch-users] Basic information and help needed

Abilash Praveen contactme at abilashpraveen.com
Mon Mar 24 00:54:29 PDT 2008

Hello,

I'm new to freeswitch and VoIP on the whole. I'm trying to deploy Freeswitch
for a LAN. My current senerio is this:

I have a CentOS linux server set up and have about 5 PCs on the LAN. The
Linux box is the gateway to the PCs. I want to set up Freeswitch and have
phones on all the computers. I want to use Freeswitch as a softPBAX to route
calls to all the five persons and also to be able to call the five persons
internally.

Eg, if someone calls our office number, it should be picked up by person 1.
He will then forward the calls to any of the 5 persons in the LAN.

Where do I start? I have moderate knowledge in Linux and PHP so should be
able to work with Freeswitch. But my question is how can i input the
telephone line (from my provider) into the server? Is it also possible to
use ordinary phones  across LAN instead of SIP phones (I assume it is
software phones that will use the server's IP to get hooked in).

I'm sorry if my questions sound too foolish, but since I'm totally new to
VoIP I'm having problems to kick start.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards,
Abilash Praveen