[Freeswitch-users] CLIR on SIP

kokoska rokoska kokoska.rokoska at post.cz
Fri Jun 20 12:00:07 PDT 2008

David Knell napsal(a):
> Brian West wrote:
>> It will always contain the number.  Its the far ends responsibility to
>> honor the privacy flags.  The same happens on a PRI as far as I have
>> seen.  Nobody should have the ability to withhold that info from your
>> "switch".
>>
> That's not quite the case.  In the good old world, there was generally a
> fairly clear
> distinction between users and carriers.  Caller ID would be passed
> between carriers
> with the privacy flags set or not as required, but, if it had been
> withheld by a caller,
> would not then be delivered to the end user.

Yes, I 100% agree!

And in SIP world (at least around me :-) it works the same way - me and
other TSP sends valid CLIP in between (Telecommunication Office
supervise it very heavy) and if Privacy flag is set we don't deliver
CLIP to end user, only store it for (possible) later processing...

> Otherwise you're
> essentially giving it
> to the end user and asking them not to peek, which isn't terribly secure.

:-)

> Nowadays, if I want to withhold my CLI, I don't send anything.  That
> works pretty
> well.  Don't put junk in - I know that I can't call various destinations
> over BT if I
> use something bogus (like na, or thiscliisaloadofoldbollocks[1]); I get
> a 403 Forbidden
> back.

Thats very strange for me :-) All TSPs around - if you are "only" end
user - force you to send valid CLIP (From: header) or silently rewrite
it. Some bigger customers (corporations etc.) have "the privilege" to
send whatever CLIP they want because they are directly responsible for
CLIP validity to local Telecommunication Office...

Best regards,

kokoska.rokoska