[Freeswitch-users] trixswitch 0.4

Albano Daniele Salvatore - Personale d.albano at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 12:42:20 PDT 2008

Sure, but how many servers them are using? A simply architectural change
from Apache/Squid to nginx would let them to serve a lot more requests

I'd prefer to look to what them use instead the number of request them
can manage: an high number of request means only that the architecture
scale well nothing more. To see if the architectures works well and can
use well resources supplied by the hardware you need to see what they use:
- Nginx is known to be alot faster that Apache and/or Squid (as reverse
proxy)
- Smarty is know to be slow and resource expensive (a lot) when he
"compile" pages

Consider too that there are a lot of languages used:
- java
- perl
- php

However consider that the main problem isin't when you need to serve
static content, this is simple! The problem is when you need to serve
fastly dynamic content and, using php, there isin't a really good way
because it is slow.

But, just a question: why so aggressive? It's just a fact that php is
slow and if you need speed isin't the best choise ... i've said this,
nothing else

Take a look here
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all

I'm not saying that noone should use php, i use it every day for
small/medium/big applications because, normally, webapplactions doesn't
need to be fast but when one of these must serve configurations files to
an application that must manage a lot of requests the story isin't the
same anymore.