[Freeswitch-users] trixswitch 0.4

Albano Daniele Salvatore - Personale d.albano at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 11:15:52 PDT 2008

The main problem there is that FreeSwitch can work using xml supplied by
a webpage (xml_curl application): this mean that php must supply the XML
(from a cache or generated on the fly)

The problem is that under an heavy load php isin't a good thing because
it eat a lot of resources and kill the cpu even using accelerators like
eaccelerator or apc: these, infact, have a cache for compiled php (php
before begin executed is compiled for the zend engine) but these doesn't
have a fully function code path optimizer that speed up all the process.
Another big problem is that PHP doesn't use JIT so a lot of resources
are used to interpretate the bytecode

The engines behind java, .net and so on have a jit engine so these can
really be near to native execution speed (as native i mean c++ because
these languages are OO so a lot of work is done and a lot of checks are
executed)

Eventually, as i said before, a good option would be to use a webserver
(or a module for the currently used webserver) that use softwares like
memcache to serve pages: doing this you can generate the xml and put
there using the same names used by the webserver. Naturally you can't do
this in all situations because you can need dynamic configurations but
can be a partial solution.

OT: It would be fantastic if spidermonkey  will be replaced by tamarin
(if this will become truly stable [i mean no api change])