[Freeswitch-users] g729

Andy Spitzer woof at pingtel.com
Thu Jun 5 09:10:00 PDT 2008

Woof!

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:17:14 -0400, Ken Rice <krice at suspicious.org> wrote:

> The whole problem is the
> Patents held by The G729 Consortium, and 2 other companies...

Has anyone ever gotten a list of the actual patent numbers in question?  I've
tried on several occasions and have always been balked.  The ITU patent site
http://www.itu.int/ipr/IPRSearch.aspx?iprtype=PS has never worked for me,
always "timing out".  It's been this way for at least two years.

As the original G.729 spec was approved by the ITU some 13 years ago, I suspect
that any of the patents in them has expired, or is very close to expiration.  Given
a list of the actual patents one should be able to determine the date when
G.729 becomes patent un-emcumbered.

--Woof!