[Freeswitch-users] OZ question: disconnected number handling

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Mon Jun 2 14:58:45 PDT 2008

Anthony,

Of course, you are correct.  They are retarded, and they are sending
progress inband.  The only reason I can do tone detect or anything like
it is because the originate app doesn't finish until the channel goes
from PROGRESS to UP.  About the only thing I can think of is to have OZ
take an ALERT message with progress IE containing the "I'm a retard,
here's inband messaging" info and have that move the channel state to
UP.  Or if there's another way for the originate app (or bridge app,
depending on whether I'm using API or not) not to get snagged on this
particular scenario then I'm all ears.

I'll keep looking for other goofy cases like this.  The application that
I'm looking at right now is essentially a "disconnected number verifier"
program.  I'm trying to write an auto dialer that gets fed a list of
phone numbers that we're pretty sure are disconnected and does its best
to verify that fact.  Of course, when the friggin' telco sends inband
progress instead of a q931 message indicating an issue then we've got to
play these silly games.

Let me know what you think about the ALERT + PROGRESS inband = OZ
channel up.

-MC

P.S. - when dialing out via a VoIP carrier, what kinds of things happen
when a disconnected number is called?  Does the VoIP carrier also have
to deal with the retardation from the telcos?  If so, how well does it
work?  Just curious if a SIP account would be good for this kind of
application...