[Freeswitch-users] clustered freeswitch

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 06:09:58 PDT 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Vieri <rentorbuy at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi.
> I'm completely new to freeswitch and would like to migrate from asterisk.
> I have a couple of questions though:
>
> 1) I understand I won't be able to use my B410P Digium ISDN (mISDN) BRI
> card yet, right?

Correct, we have not gotten to the task of supporting BRI just yet.

> 2) my TE120P Digium PRI card should work.

Any zaptel compatible  card should work with OpenZAP on our beta PRI stack
which is able
to at least run on euro and DMS dialects.

> 3) can freeswitch work in a master-master cluster?
> Example:
>
> FreeSWITCH-1 --- MySQL nbcluster tables --- FreeSWITCH-2
>
> I suppose I can do this if I enable ODBC in FreeSWITCH. But will both
> FreeSWITCH boxes
> get "confused" if they use the "same" clustered database (active/active)?
> (by the way, does the built-in sqlite support clustered tables?)

Every place you can choose ODBC in FS was designed to be able to be shared.

> SIP softphones and ATA phones would register via DNS SRV (or custom method)
> to any one of the servers but only one (the idea is to load balance
> registrations).
>
> Say, extension 101 registers to FS-1 and 102 registers to FS-2.
> Could 101 contact 102 simply by looking it up the clustered database (eg.
> querying the table may yield something like sip:102 at FS-2)?
> This would be similar to Asterisk 1.4+ Realtime SIP registrations.
> In Asterisk 1.2 I use IAX2 friend trunks between the 2 servers and DUNDi
> for the lookup.

I know asterisk realtime all to well.  I am credited with helping to design
it though i believe it was improperly executed from my vision.
I personally coded the original res_config* hooks which were later developed
into realtime.  I also was responsible for making it possible to share SIP
registrations over realtime in asterisk
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=4832 wow what an ordeal that was .....

You will find by studying the xml_hooks and mod_xml_curl
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Mod_xml_curl  and this overview
http://www.freeswitch.org/node/123 that the distributed logic to obtain
external information in FreeSWITCH will out perform the realtime in both raw
capability as well as in the simplicity of implementation to features gained
ratio.

If you use a sofia profile with ODBC on multiple machines, if you register
to any machine all of them will resolve the correct contact address when
trying to make an outbound call.  Presence, however such as subscriptions
must still go to the original box because there is an open SIP dialog that
must be maintained.   So if you have box1 .. box10 and you register and it
hits box2, you can call this user from all 10 boxes and it will find the
correct contact addr.

> Would queues and ring groups also work in a "clustered" freeswitch system?
> In case of "queues", where is the caller position stored? Who's counting?
> FS-1 or FS-2?
> Could the counter be stored in the clustered SQL table so that both
> FreeSWITCH servers get it right in case calls come in on both servers?
> example:
>
> PSTN---PRI---FreeSWITCH-1 --- clustered SQL --- FreeSWITCH-2---PRI---PSTN
>
> Calls coming in from the PSTN reach both FS-1 and FS-2. I would like these
> calls to enter
> a "clustered" queue which bridges calls to operator extensions which can be
> registered on either server.
> The caller positions should be coherent across both servers.
>
> Has anyone done this already?

All the things stored in mod_limit, the limit app, the db app etc.  Can be
shared via ODBC the same way as SIP.

For advanced clustering, you can use an external control entity such as
mod_event_socket and combinations of mod_xml_curl so you can dynamically
generate a dial plan to send the call to PARK state which is a passive state
where you can control the channel on a staging box then distribute them to
satellite machines running applications or mod_fifo for call queuing .

> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> Vieri

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/