[Freeswitch-users] context="public" on profiles in default config and why!

Brian West brian at freeswitch.org
Thu Jul 24 15:08:13 PDT 2008

Recently a bug has been opened on the default config because the
context on all the profiles are set to "public".  Let me take a few
moments to clarify WHY its like this.

The internal profile is the one setup in the default configuration for
users to register with.  If you notice each user has a "user_context"
variable on them.  If you register to FreeSWITCH and auth your context
is set to the value of user_context during that call.  Now here is the
reason I choose to have public as the context on the internal
profile.... If for any reason you turn off auth or mess up your config
and users no longer auth but are able to get in and the context is set
to public that keeps people from bypassing any security and accessing
your dialplan that should only be accessed by authenticated users....
ie toll fraud.

Hope this clarifies that choice in the defaults.

Thanks,
Brian West
sip:brian at freeswitch.org