[Freeswitch-users] Profile configuration and aliases

Brian West brian.west at mac.com
Thu Feb 7 07:37:47 PST 2008

On Feb 7, 2008, at 8:58 AM, Jonas Gauffin wrote:

> Ok. I got two aliases for the default profile, my domain name and
> freeswitchs ip address.
> This is since not all phones have different fields for domain and
> proxy address, and I can't use the domain name as proxy address.

In these cases you just enter the domain in the registrar.  Polycom
has two settings for this ... one under network and one under SIP lines.

> this means that some phones are registered as username at mydomain.com
> and some as username at 192.168.1.124.

Is this the ip for the profile?  You can use <param name="force-
register-domain" value="mydomain.com"/> on the profile to force
everything to the domain on the backend.

> This makes it difficult, since I need to keep track of which domain
> name they used when registering. (I need to use for instance
> "originate sofia/mydomain.com/username number" for some, and
> "originate sofia/192.168.1.124/username number" for others, even if
> they are in the same domain.

SIP is just like email you don't use IP's in email addresses these
days.  And you should never do so in SIP addresses either.  Asterisk
doesn't do this via names because they don't want the extra hit of DNS
lookups but that is how SIP was designed.  user at domain.com and not user at 1.2.3.4
.

> It would be a lot easier if I just could use
> "sofia/<myprofilename>/username", since they all belong to the same
> profile.
>
> But maybe I'm missing something?
>
> regards,
>  Jonas

You should always use domains and not IP's as that allows you to use
SRV records and failover registrars and such.

/b