[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch optimization as a registrar - a cute hack

David Sugar dyfet at gnutelephony.org
Tue Dec 30 13:48:05 PST 2008

I actually have found an alternate approach that we optionally use in
sipwitch.  Basically, sipwitch can be set to recognize a "trusted"
subnet, and automatically accepts a refresh from any actively registered
ua on the trusted subnet(s) without requesting an authentication
challenge, so long as the ua refreshes from the same sip port and ip
address it originally registered and authenticated from.  It will also
do the same for invites and other otherwise "authentication challenge"
sip requests that can originate from ua's on the trusted subnet(s).

Using this option of course kills any ability to proxy register multiple
ua's through another sip server, although this can be solved by
recognizing certain id's as explicitly not trustable.  However, for most
common configurations and use cases, it works very well and does
effectively halve sip network traffic :).