[Freeswitch-users] Extra loud prompts when transcoded from L16 at 8000 to G.722

Andy Spitzer woof at nortel.com
Mon Dec 22 13:38:36 PST 2008

Woof!

I've noticed that the percieved volume of prompts recorded at L16 at 8000 is much louder (to the point of distortion) when played back via G.722 on Polycom phones, vs when played back via G.711.  The same prompts are also slightly louder when played back on SNOM phones via G.722 vs G.711, but not nearly as obnoxiously loud.

I'm not sure if FS can do anything about this, it may be a Polycom issue, but is there a way to apply gain (negative in this case!) during the transcoding process so the percieved volume of the prompts is the same no matter which codec is selected?

--Woof!