[Freeswitch-users] T1 RBS Support Revisited

Robert Dyck rob.dyck at telus.net
Thu Aug 21 20:08:28 PDT 2008

If RBS means robbed bit signalling then it is transmitted in the media bit
stream but as the name implies it is not used for media. If I remember
correctly the LSB from every sixth frame is robbed leaving 7 bits and 1 faked
which would probably be correct about 50% of the time. RBS introduces a small
amount of distortion. The channel bank will use the state of the signalling
bit to set the M lead (on or offhook ) of the appropriate channel. The E lead
sets the signalling bit for the other direction. Think Ear and Mouth.

MF of course is encoded into the bit stream the same as any other audio
source. To avoid RBS, on/offhook can be transmitted using SF ( 2600 HZ ) in
band. You would want to disable RBS in that case. Compatible equipment is
required obviously.